- Step 1 Check Printer’s Error Lights
Printer’s may be showing an error message through a series of cryptic flashing, colored lights on the printer itself.
- Step 2 Clear the Printer Queue
Sometimes, computer’s print queue can get jammed up with old documents that failed to print for one reason or another, holding up the document that need right now.
- Step 3 Solidify the Connection
Ensure the USB cable is plugged in snugly at both ends, and that the power cable is plugged into the wall.
- Step 4 Ensure Have the Right Printer
Be sure to choose the correct printer before continuing.
- Step 5 Install the Drivers and Software
- Step 6 Add Printer
If using printer over WiFi, may need to add it to Windows’ list of available printers before Windows will offer it as an option. In Windows 10, head to Settings > Devices > Printers & Scanners and click the Add a Printer or Scanner button.
Step 7 Check that Paper Is Installed (Not Jammed)
- Ensure that paper in the tray in correct position.
- Step 8 Fiddle With the Ink Cartridges
The print head may be clogged or dirty, and can clean it out through printer’s built-in cleaning routine.
- Step 9 Run the Printer’s Self-Test
Windows’ test pages can be printed by heading to Settings > Devices > Printers & Scanners. Select your printer, then click Manage > Print a Test Page.