WHY SOME OFFICE SUPPLIES AREN’T TRACKED
Not keeping track of printing supplies is a wasteful workplace habit. But like most habits, there’s a reason it became the norm. Here are the main reasons office supply expenses often aren’t tracked and managed properly:
- There is a universal need throughout the office which generates constant requests from many different employees
- Seemingly low costs often justify spending without approval
- A continual need encourages frequent replenishing and large quantity purchases
- More than one person within your company is approved to order office supplies
- The list of office supplies is extensive, which makes them a challenge to manage and monitor
- It’s easy to hide some supply expenses under general terms, like “office supply expenses”
MONITORING THE USE OF YOUR PRINTING OFFICE SUPPLIES
If you aren’t monitoring your printing supplies, you won’t know if an employee is printing copies of their 400-page novel on the company printer. Your employees could be ordering cartridges without even looking at the cost, and another supplier may offer the same cartridges for far less. Fortunately, as soon as you uncover the issues that are causing you to spend more than you should, you can address and fix them as you put together your revised budget.
Of course, managing office supply expenses generally falls on the shoulders of already busy people, and it’s a very easy thing to put off. Almost every organization around the world has gone through a significant amount of change in the past few years, and many are still playing catch-up. However, the longer wasteful practices continue, the more money your organization could be losing each and every month.